Gotu Kola Sambol (ගොටු කොල සම්බෝල)
Pennywort is being labelled as a 'superfood' nowadays, but in Sri Lanka, where it is known as Gotu Kola Sambol, it has always been considered a healthy and delicious condiment for a curry. Gotu kola sambol is a herby coconut salad popular in Sri Lanka. It makes a wonderful accompaniment to rich, spicy dishes.
- 1 bunch Gotu Kola finely sliced/chopped
- 1 medium-size Red onion chopped
- 3 Thai Chilli chopped
- 1/3 cup Coconuts freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp Salt or as needed
- 1/2 Lime squeezed
- 1 tbsp Maldive Fish optional
- Clean the Gotu Kola leaves by letting it sit for 5 min in lukewarm saltwater then washing it off. This help removes bacteria, bugs, and any dirt or dust that's lingering on the plant. Repeat the washing if needed.
- Gather and cut the necessary ingredients.
- In a deep wide enough bowl, combine and mix the cut Gotu Kola, onions, green chilli, and the fresh coconuts as well as the Maldives fish if adding.
- Add lime and salt to taste at the end. Combine everything well then serve while it's still fresh.